Thursday, October 20, 2016

More From Day 1

This post won't be as long as yesterday (I don't think).  Truth is, there were things I forgot to share on the previous post.  I am blaming it on jet-lag.  As Mark and I both woke up at 3am WIDE AWAKE (again..jet-lag) we talked about the day again and then decided to FaceTime my parents and Maygen & Josh since it was only 8pm for them.  We were giddy and silly from being so tired.  Any way...

I am basing this post off of questions we keep getting from some you.

First, Brycen and Regan are doing AWESOME.  We have always known Regan requires more sleep than the rest of us (combined).  Which isn't a bad thing, just something to consider when we know she isn't going to have regular sleep for a few days.  So, Monday night we all went to bed late and had to wake at 3:30am in order to get to the airport on time.  Then, we spent the next twenty hours flying.  None of us got enough sleep on the flights to really count (except Brycen).  Then, in order to try to get on Ethiopian time, we only took catnaps yesterday (one hour from 10:30am-11:30 am).  So, by the time we got to the orphanage yesterday afternoon, Regan was just tired.  Her tired means really quiet.  We had conversations with Brycen and Regan just prior to going to the orphanage yesterday.  We asked about how they were feeling, what they were excited about, nervous about, etc.  It was a fun conversation to hear their perspectives, but their answers I will keep private.  They both had a great, realistic perspective and ones we valued greatly.
Upon arrival at the orphanage, both of them were videoing our first meeting.  They both grew teary eyed as he came to us and especially when he knew their names without our prompting.  Brycen immediately became a jungle gym for all the kids and Regan became the photographer (eyes on you Sarah McAffry).  Both of them dropped their backpacks when Tyson started kicking around a soccer ball.  We all jumped in to a family game of kicking the ball around.  The big kids were champs when Tyson wanted to cover them in stickers and when he wanted to show them something.  He would look for them and then yell, "Brycen, come!" or "Regan, come!" Both of them were great and continue to talk about different things he said or did.
Next, I have had several of you want to know what we said to him first.  When he first came to us, we just hugged him (fighting back big tears).  We both squatted down to look at him and asked about his day.  Then, we each picked him up for another hug and kisses.  I don't know what Mark said, but I whispered, "I am your mommy and I will love you forever." I know he didn't understand it all (though he does know "I love you").  Prior to our leaving, Mark picked him up and looked at me and said, "sandwich."  At our house this means Dad on one cheek, Mom on the other, giving fast kisses on each cheek at the same time.  We gave him his first sandwich and he took it like a pro.  Like a McKeehan!
Lastly, I forgot to share with you that all the children at the orphanage call Tyson by a nickname.  I have no idea how to spell it, but we have it on video. Mengistu and Meselu explained that the name doesn't have a meaning, but rather it's just a term of affection.  They told us it means he is well-loved and liked by his  peers.  We loved that!  And, I think I will, on occasion, keep calling him by that nickname if he likes it.
The kids slept like logs (except for our FaceTime adventures waking Regan by accident at 3am for a little bit).  Everyone seems much more energetic and "rested" today.  We are having fun in our guesthouse just hanging out.  The kids are doing school work while we write and read.  But, there are plans for football throwing, movie watching, and game playing before we head off to see Tyson tonight and enjoy traditional Ethiopian food for dinner.

I will try to post again tonight or tomorrow.  Love from us to you!

Until he's home,
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment