Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Good, Good Father

This post could get long (and take me forever to post) because there is a sweet 5 year old sleeping about 12 feet away who keeps stealing my eyes.  WE ARE SLEEPING UNDER THE SAME ROOF and I could not be more humbled.  Drawn to tears no less than 1.335843 million times today.  I will do my best to recount the highlights of the day. As I type, I want you to know it is with tears in my eyes and streaming down my face (think emoji with tears streaming...).  I can hear that little miracle boy snoring as I type.  He's in his new Avengers pajamas, with new socks, after a long warm shower, with teeth brushed, belly fed, and toys in his bed. I will get to all of that in just a minute, but for now, I wanted you to have a mental picture to get you through this post.
The morning started earlier than normal, so the plan was to leave at 7:15am for our 9am court appointment because Addis traffic is one of the craziest things I have ever seen unpredictable.  We did NOT want to be late.  And, let's be honest, we weren't getting much sleep anyway.  Our alarm was set for 6:15am, but when my eyes popped wide open at 6, I couldn't believe it.  THIS WAS IT.  GOTCHA DAY.  We all scurried getting ready and I adjusted his pillow and comforter for the 400th time before we left.  The entire ride to court Mark and I kept saying, "this is really happening," "do you know how many times we talked about this day?" "think about how many days we didn't think this would happen," etc.  We arrived super early and had time to swing into a local coffee shop just down the street.  We all enjoyed a delicious macchiato and while we were there, Tesfahun, our attorney,  joined us.  He is a quiet guy, who has WORKED HIS TAIL OFF FOR US.  We repeatedly heard today from numerous sources, "This case very difficult." Um, yeah, we know.  But, we are eternally grateful (literally) for people who persistently pushed through, fought for, and delivered on getting all the necessary paperwork, even when government offices here asked for silly things that didn't matter.
As we arrived to the court building, there were two lines already forming outside, one for the boys and one for the girls.  Regan and I took our respective place in the back of the girl line, but when the court house opened, we were in in no time.  We waited inside for Brycen, Mark, Mengistu, and Tesfahun.  We wandered through the halls of the courthouse and finally settled in on the second floor just in front of an old wooden door with a number plaque that read "106."  I looked at that door and number and knew behind it our lives would change forever.  Our court appointment was scheduled for 9am.  At 9:15am when no one had come for us or opened the door, I was getting nervous.  So, I asked Tesfahun if they were usually late.  He replied, "No. But, we are the first case this year."  I stood in disbelief.  "Bethany's first case since court re-opened?" I asked.  Tesfahun, "yes, but also THE first case since court opened for any agency. First one of the year for the court."  I nearly died right there.  The favor of the Lord swept over me in a millisecond.  I didn't want to miss it.  God gave us the very first court appointment of the fiscal year for the Ethiopian government. And then my worries melted away as a young woman opened the door and motioned for us to enter.  Here we go,  room 106, here we go.
We entered a fairly small room with dingy walls and purple carpet.  At the back of the room sat a judge at an old office desk.  In front of the desk were 2 rows of chairs, 3 chairs in each row,  facing one another.  Mark and I sat down on the left row, with Brycen.  Regan sat across from Mark in the first seat of the right hand row.  The judge shook our hands and asked to see our passports.  Next, he asked us a series of 8-10 yes or no questions.  For instance, "have you met your child?"  "Have you talked to your biological children about this adoption?" (helped half of them were present, because he asked them), "how many times have you visited your child?'  You get the idea... Our favorite question was, "Do you love him?"  YES.
Before we could even finish, his pen made big strokes across the page, indicating his signature and as it did, he said, "I approve this adoption."  Mark grabbed my hand as we watched him sign and I batted away tears that were hanging on to my lower eye lids for dear life.  We shook his hand and out the door we went.  Three minutes. MAX.  DONE AND DONE.  With the stroke of a pen, Asnake Haile became Asnake Mark McKeehan (until we legally change his name in America to Tyson).  As we pranced back down the steps, Mark said, "I feel like a thousand pounds have been lifted off my shoulders."  And, I thought, "Our God finishes what He begins."  The enemy sought to destroy us in this process.  His plan has been intentional and very personal.  We have known it and we have felt it.  Today, he was crushed under the heel of Jesus who came to set captives free, bind up broken hearts, and put the lonely into families.
We walked out onto the courthouse steps, hand-in-hand, smiling from ear to ear, tasting tears.  Mengistu snapped a couple of photos of us in front of the courthouse, even though it's against the rules not advised.  We played a real life game of Frogger back across the blaring streets of Addis Ababa and sat down in the van as a family of 7. Officially.  Now, the court and government FINALLY get to be caught up with what our hearts have known since April 20th, 2015 when we saw his face for the first time.  As we drove away, I looked at Mark and said, "it's done."  We giggled through our tears like teenage girls and held hands.  We know it's actually only beginning, but the fight changes today.  We aren't fighting the same old battle anymore.  It's done.  Tesfahun spoke up shortly into the drive saying, "You know Asnake's case was very difficult" (one of many people to point that out).... he went on to describe some of the hold up's.  We thanked him profusely for his legal representation for us and for continuing to advocate and represent adoptive families in a culture that is not currently fond of international adoption.  We have sensed it from officials already.  To continue to advocate for these children AS AN ETHIOPIAN puts many of them at risk for social stigma's because so many people aren't supportive of it here.  It was more confirmation that what the enemy set out to destroy, God redeemed.  Right before our eyes today, with the stroke of a pen.  Black ink to be exact.
Next, we dropped Tesfahun off at the US Embassy (the line to get in was SO LONG).  Anyway, we headed to Ethiopia's National Museum where we saw all kinds of artifacts, art work, archeological findings, and other historical pieces.  We took it all in as much as we could, but I kept thinking "WE JUST PASSED COURT!" After the museum we headed to lunch at the Lime Tree.  It appears to be owned by Americans, as everything was written in English and the atmosphere convinced you you were in Atlanta or Market Square.  The decor was bright orange and neon green and the oversized chalk board menu hung over the kitchen.  After we ate and tried orange Fanta (shout out to Mirinda for being the better of the two!), we decided to head back to the guest house because we wanted to upload 72,000 photos for you to see we knew another family had arrived last night and were waiting to see their child for the first time at 2:30pm (same orphanage as Asnake, so we were going to ride together and share Mengistu).  As we drove back the guesthouse, the commute was about an hour due to traffic.  So, Mark decided to play music from his phone for us to sing to in the van.  First up, "Good, Good Father."  As it started Mark said, "He is a good, good Father.  What a day!"  We all belted it out.  We arrived in time to download photos, FaceTimed our parents, let the kids and Mark change clothes, and get everything ready for Asnake to come back with us.  Surreal.  We tidied the room up and packed him a change of clothes in case he needed it.  Then, we bounced down two flights of steps to the living room of the guesthouse.  We sat there a while and then everyone was ready to head to the orphanage for the other family to have their first meeting and for us to have Asnake's farewell ceremony.
I just want to tell y'all something.  We know God is good and big and into details.  But, I just have to let you know that the family who came today, their 12 year old daughter was born in the same region as Asnake, in the same original orphanage as him, and moved with him to their current orphanage in 2014 when the original one was closed by the government.  She has been with him since he was 6 months old.  She's like his big sister.  They have been together for the long haul.  How kind of the Lord to bring her parents here TODAY so she didn't have to sit through his farewell ceremony alone, wondering when she would have a family.  Tears. Again.  She even told us about the fall he had at that original orphanage that caused the scar on the back of his head.  No one else knew what had happened.  Jesus, we love you.  Thank You for being a God of details.
We pulled into the green gate and let the other family out because their daughter was sitting there waiting for them... first visits are just emotional to watch.  I will try to post our video soon.  It's like when you're pregnant and you want to finally touch your baby, tell him you love him, and see him for yourself!  Except these pregnancies are LONG.  really long.  Then, Asnake came out saying, "today I go with you. No more staying here."  We were batting away tears THE WHOLE LIVE LONG DAY.  He played with Brycen and Regan on the monkey bars.  Let me just tell you... our updates from the agency while we were waiting indicated Asnake liked to climb, but people.  He takes climbing to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL.  He climbs vans, slides, hearths of fireplaces, etc.  I mean, he has obeyed us every time we have asked him to get down, but he just has a NEED to climb.  Anyone know of any good climbing gyms or bars for our yard?  We are clearly in the market for one.
Next, he climbed two vans again finally found a soccer ball and started to play.  While he and the other kids (along with Brycen and Regan) played soccer, the orphanage director asked if he could talk to us for a few minutes.  OF COURSE.  He took us into his office and congratulated us on being Asnake's parents.  Then, he started, "I know this case has been frustrating for you.  Asnake's case has been a very difficult one...." I didn't hear the next eight sentences because all I could think in my head was, "yes, but we have a

Good, Good Father."

We listened to him talk about the orphanage and having Asnake.  Then, Meselu came in to tell us it was time for the farewell ceremony.  GRAB THE TISSUES.  Good grief.  We entered the living room of the orphanage, but there was no "Britain's Got Talent" or "Samford and Sons" this time.  Rather, it was all the children in the orphanage, us, Meselu, the family visiting their daughter for the first time, some visitors, and Mengistu.  Oh!  And a professional photographer and videographer.  There was also one of the nannies' ROASTING COFFEE BEANS INSIDE (the smell was amazing), preparing for our coffee ceremony that would be the conclusion of the farewell ceremony.  They had a couch up front prepared for Brycen, Regan, Mark, and me.  We sat down and in walked Asnake in an all white traditional Ethiopian outfit.  TOO MUCH, Y'ALL.  I had already had so much today.  My heart couldn't hold the gratitude already and then HIM in THAT. so cute.  He hopped up on Mark's lap, like he's been a McKeehan forever, rather than only 7.5 hours.  We know that's because he HAS been a McKeehan longer than that... 5 years and 11 months to be exact.  Anyway.  Meselu started talking at the cue of the videographer.  She thanked the orphanage and the agency and she thanked us for adopting Asnake.  I wanted to interrupt and say, "We are the blessed ones BY FAR out of this deal," but I feared it might be rude. So, I listened on.  She gave the children an opportunity to each stand up and tell something about Asnake or tell him something.  A couple of the children said things like, "he is a nice boy and I love him" or one older girl who said, "he is a nice boy. He loves God. Thank you for giving him this opportunity."  *me opening my second packet of tissues of the night*  Next, several of the kids stood to sing him a song.  Their choice (after discussing it for approximately 32 seconds):  This is the Day the Lord has Made.  The girl who led them?  the one who has been with Asnake since he was a baby.  I sat watching in awe of a God who makes all things possible.  This IS THE DAY the Lord has made and those words are  exactly the ones I uttered this morning (and Instagrammed) starting my morning today as I looked out over the city through our window.  They sang it in Amharic and English.  I tried to sing along in English.  Let's be real.  I just couldn't because I knew my cry would get UGLY.  After the prayer, they asked our family to bring Asnake to the middle of the room so they could pray over us.  Y'ALL.  SERIOUSLY.  tears dripped of my nose onto the red carpet that lines the living room.  All those young voices saying, "Amen" every few sentences (after each blessing that was prayed over him).  So tender to me.  And, one day, it will be to him.
Then, we had a photo session with all the kids in the orphanage and all the nannies and cooks and Meselu.  Finally the coffee has finished roasting and had been ground (by hand) and was ready to drink!  In the traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony way, Mark and I were given the first two cups (small cups) of coffee.  Visitors and other adults also partook in drinking the coffee.  It was delicious!  Just prior to the coffee ceremony, Asnake kept saying, "Go, Mom?"  "Go, Dad?" pointing to outside.  We explained we would go as soon as the coffee ceremony was finished.  He is so funny.  In English he said, "No buna, just go.  No buna, just go."  We were able to convince him to let us have "buna" (coffee) and that it wouldn't take long!  He sat down and waited.  But, THEN THE TIME CAME.  It was like it just all happened so fast.  We were walking through the large door of the living room, lined with nannies and children.  Two toddlers wailing, "Asnake! Asnake!"  and the nannies who were quietly crying, wiping their tears on their shirts or each other as they hugged one another.  Meanwhile, Mark is carrying Asnake out the door and his smile was like he owned the place.  He couldn't wait!  He jumped into the van grinning from ear to ear.  I was trying to get in there, but as I hugged Meselu, I just cried and cried.  I hopped in just behind Asnake, but he headed straight to the back seat to sit with Brycen.  As we pulled away, he had his head looking out the side window at the children who had made their way out, the nannies, and our beloved Meselu.  I just kept wondering what he must be thinking.  Then, he turned and looked at us.... MELT ME.  His smile was from ear to ear.  It didn't take long for traffic to pick up and he turned around, looking straight out the back window until we arrived back at the guesthouse.  But, in a flash, he was out of that van and running to the door of the house.  He dashed up the steps at our instruction and as we entered the room I fought back tears, but tried to be so present.  The first thing we did was let him just walk around the room.  Then, we went over and showed him where his clothes, shoes, socks, underwear, jackets, and pants were.  He looked at them and said, "For Asnake?"  He particularly loved the shoes.  I told you he was born a McKeehan.  We only presented a few small toys at first... a small green motorcycle that makes noise and a yellow motorcycle as well as 3 matchbox cars.  He played and played with all of those for the longest time.
Next, he wanted to change into his new pajamas.  But, one of my top priorities had been getting him a good shower, so I said, "Shower. Then, pajamas."  He bought it.  Off he went to the bathroom with new spiderman underwear and Avengers pajamas in his hands.  Before I could think he was undressing.  It was all happening so fast, but I was so glad.  I started the water and when it got warm, he jumped in.  He just smiled and smiled.  I don't think he's ever had a warm shower.  I was still in my nice clothes from court, but I was practically in the shower with him.  I was crying THE ENTIRE TIME.  This first shower was the one thing that I knew would help me solidify that I AM HIS MOM. I had thought about it for 6 years.  And, as I stood there cleaning him off, I kept thinking "You're a

Good, Good Father."

We used soap and shampoo and afterwards I wrapped him up in a big, fluffy white towel and he just giggled.  He stood still while I lotioned him up and put hair milk in his hair.  HE SMELLS SO GOOD.  After his shower he played with "motors" more and then he said, "Mom, can we eat tomorrow?" And then I nearly died.  DINNER.  Our plan was to order take-out (there's a place that delivers to our guesthouse), but we had gotten busy and forgot.  So, Mark dashed downstairs to order food, while I handed him a pop tart and explained we will eat EVERY DAY and if he is hungry he needs to tell Mommy.  Thankfully, Mengistu popped in just in time to make sure he understood in Amharic.  He didn't seem the least bit anxious, but I wanted him to know and see we had food here.  While we waited for the food we showed him a few more toys and gave him his iPod.  We had loaded some English games on it, math games, music (he loves music), and other educational games.  And, I cannot even tell you the cuteness of him in those Spiderman headphones.  Anyway.  Regan got his music going for him and on repeat....

"Good, Good Father."

NO JOKE.  It wasn't 10 minutes later and he was singing it outloud.  In English. In our room.  Where we could hear and understand.  Tissues. please.  "That's who You are, That's who You are..."  and "That's who I am.  That's who I am."  Mark started recording and I just sat there. crying. He had the song on repeat and continued to sing it the rest of the night, even without the headphones or music.  We knew he was getting tired, but had hoped he'd stay up long enough to FaceTime Corbin and Hudson after school (10pm our time).  So, we went downstairs to wait on our food.  We played with "motors" and ate chips.  Don't judge.  Finally, dinner arrived and the five of us sat around the table, held hands and prayed.  Another first.  Our first meal together.  It made me miss Corbin and Hudson so much, but I was so grateful Asnake ate well and loved it.  He had asked for candy for earlier and I gave him chips instead, telling him after dinner he could have the candy.  I know chips aren't much better, but it made me feel better.  Laughing at myself as I type.  Anyway.  As we finished eating Asnake said, "Movie and candy next, Mom."  Yes!  So, we came upstairs and put Kung Fu Panda 3 on (his favorite) just after eating some Sour Patch Kids (which he LOVED... thank you Erik and Jennifer Jackson).  I couldn't watch the movie.  I was too distracted with his laying there between Mark and Brycen and then between Regan and Brycen.  It's like he's been here forever.  No-one will ever convince me it's anything less than all out PRAYER.  Next we pulled out the sunglasses and he remembered his spiderman jacket.  So, he zipped it all the way up so his face was covered and he looked like spiderman.  We said, "Where did Asnake go?  Asnake, where are you?"  He just giggled and giggled and then showed us his face.  Beaming.  It was so fun.  Eventually, we said, "Mom, sit," while patting his bed.  I sat down and he crawled in my lap.  I asked Mark to give us a book to read.  Guess what he brought?

"Good, Good Father."

It's a new children's book that is co-authored by Chris Tomlin (thank you, Averee Gentry!).  Sweet boy sat in my lap and we read our first book together.  He held a small flashlight in his hand the entire time, giving me light to read (even though the power was on).  He's always so thoughtful.  When it came time to brush teeth, I gave him a new toothbrush and went in behind him with the toothpaste.  As I walked into the bathroom, he was holding out his pointer finger and said, "colgate."  It was right then I realized he had never used a toothbrush.  He had always used his finger to brush his teeth.  I fought back tears and taught him how to brush his teeth.  He kept brushing and brushing.  and smiling and smiling.  And brushing and brushing.  I asked him in Amharic if he liked it and he raised his eyebrows with a wide smile, indicating, "YES."  I showed him where to put his toothbrush and "colgate." It was finally time to talk to Corbin and Hudson!
We FaceTimed them at Nina's (but Camryn Pinner was there, too).  When the screen came up all three boys, 2 on one side of the planet and the other one with us, grinned SO BIG at seeing each other live for the first time (shout out to technology!).  We let them talk as much as they could,  given the language barrier, but it was so sweet to hear them tell each other they loved each other.  I will forever remember all of their smiles.  I know God is growing all of their faiths.  Today was a huge marker in the road.  A huge faith growing marker.  We love You, our

Good, Good Father.

After we finished talking, it was bedtime!  He obeyed our first request to get into bed, but asked if he could sleep with 3 motors, sunglasses, and his small red flashlight.  Um. Sure.  It didn't take long and he was fast asleep.  Since I started this post, I have retrieved 2 of our "motors' off the the floor (I heard them drop), but he is sleeping peacefully in a room with his oldest brother, only sister, and his mommy and daddy.  I don't know what his mind was thinking or his heart was feeling.  I do know, our day and night went a million times more smoothly than we had anticipated.  His English is just so much better than we anticipated, so that is a huge blessing.  But, there is more to it than that.  Our prayers for God to knit our hearts together long before we met him have been answered.  He welcomes our affection and while he was on my lap earlier he (unsolicited at all) leaned over on me and said, "that's my mommy."  I had to ask Regan to bring me (another) pack of tissues.  God has allowed all of us to sit back and watch Him answer prayers regarding a case that  the government couldn't and wouldn't do.  They said this case was too hard.  He has given us a beautiful first week with bonding and attachment in an environment that is difficult.  He has given us overwhelming peace and joy.  As he put on his white Converse tennis shoes tonight with his pajamas, I couldn't help but think back to the day we bought them.  It was a day we were missing him and wondering what in the world was going to happen.  As his feet dangled wearing those shoes tonight, I was reminded of redemption.  That Jesus came to make all things new.  His plans are wise and good.  His love is steadfast and strong, able to carry us though what we, on our own, could never carry.  He restores. He purposes.  He redeems.  As I lay my head on my pillow tonight with the quiet, steady deep breaths that are new to our room in my ear, I am undone with gratitude.  Overwhelmed with His goodness toward us.  Grateful for His provision and making a way for Asnake to come to our family.  I am going to bed singing the anthem of the day, "You're a

Good, Good Father."

YES YOU ARE.

And I am grateful.

Carrie

5 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD!!!! Read out loud to my family and had to hold back the tears!!!!! SOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE!! He is a good good Father. And Tyson is finally home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I enjoy reading all about it! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete