Monday, October 23, 2017

Ty Baby

Today's festivities are still in full force.  It's Hudson's 8th birthday and all the fun has left excitement nearly palpable in the house.  It was so fun to watch the boys celebrate Hudson's birthday together for the first time.  This time last year our I can't even describe with mere human words how amazing friends were hosting Hudson's 7th birthday party after church.  I mean, y'all.  Who does that?  OUR friends FRAMILY.  For real.  There are so many pieces to this story that I could never repay.  If you want to read about October 23, 2016, you can here.  I clearly remember Tyson singing "Happy Birthday" to Hudson in both Amharic and English.  We watched those videos for the first time at the Ethiopian restaurant Saturday night.  It was so sweet to watch Tyson and Hudson talking about what they each thought when they were seeing it the first time and filming it. 
Last year on this date we were processing a hard conversation we had with Menge over lunch, knowing Tyson had come from a hard place.  But, hearing the details again made them feel fresh and seemed to consume my every thought.  Because of our conversations about his past, I had his birth mom on my mind all day that day like I still do about three times a week.  I rarely go more than a few days without having her on my mind or somehow having her come up in conversation with Tyson.  We were able to meet her while we were in Ethiopia (on November 5, 2016).  So, I will save that experience for a couple of more weeks.  For now, I will simply say that Tyson is an overcomer. The healing we have seen Jesus do in him is miraculous.  I had sensed Holy Spirit's whisper over and over again in the adoption process when I would get overwhelmed with what we might be taking on, "Your job isn't to heal him.  Your job is to get him to Me.  I will do the healing."  What freedom! 
After church and lunch that day, we finally made our way to the orphanage.  They typically don't allow visitors on Sundays, but Menge is a superhero we decided to go anyway.  While there we had more time with Tyson's remarkable nannie to ask questions.  Sundays are pretty laid back, so the extra time with her proved to be helpful.  The two things she told us Tyson would need help with were (1) washing his face and (2) making sure his shoes get on the right feet.  Ecstatic to say he has mastered washing his face and he gets his shoes on the right feet approximately 97% of the time nearly every single time.  He is even super close to mastering tying his shoes! 
We were a wee bit worried about what it would be like once we arrived in America and Tyson not only had to use a seatbelt, but he also had to sit in a booster seat with his seat belt.  We had Menge explain this to Tyson repeatedly during our time in Ethiopia.  Turns out it was likely all for not... Tyson never seemed to so much as bat an eye at buckling or sitting in a booster because he is a rockstar. 
Some things never change.  Ty's fascination with cars, particularly FAST cars has never changed.  He somehow believes red cars naturally go faster than all others, except when it comes to NASCAR.  In that arena, there is still only one car for him:  the number 6 of Trevor Bayne (We love you Ashton and Trevor).  He has learned a lot about NASCAR, fast cars, and he can't seem to get enough of engines revving and hearing the tires spin.  He is all about cars!
Perhaps the biggest take-away from October 23, 2016, for me, was when Menge suggested I occasionally say, "Asnake yea."  Literally, this translates to "My Asnake."  So, when I began saying that, Tyson would just LIGHT UP.  There is something so powerful about belonging.  About knowing you are known and you are loved, received, and welcomed anyway. It's just like Jesus to say, "I know every stinking thing about you and I still love you.  Receive you. Welcome you. YOU ARE MINE."  These days we don't call him "Asnake" very much unless he is in trouble and he gets "Tyson Asnake".  But, it is quite common to hear me say, "Ty Baby" in normal conversation or when I am calling for him to come.  I don't know where it came from, it just kind of.... came.  However, he loves it and I pray it reminds him that he is ours, that he is known, loved, received, welcomed. 

Until tomorrow!
carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment